The History of Engine 2
The Alert Company
On December 31st, 1814 the city began reorganizing the fire companies after the burning of Washington. An appropriation was made in 1815 to replace the Treasury engines; it is presumed that they were destroyed by the British. In 1817, one of the engines was located in a frame house on 13th Street north of Pennsylvania Ave. and was known as the “Star” It was in a few months removed to the corner of 14th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. . The other engine was located on 13 ½ Street South of the Avenue. The Alert Company was officially re-organized as of 1821.
On January 30th, 1827 the Alert Company met and as of February 9th the name was changed to Franklin Fire Company after the adoption of a constitution.
On May 2, 1828 Congress made an appropriation of $3,000 to erect an engine house and purchase an engine for the Franklin Fire Company. In 1829 the Franklin Fire Company was in its new two-story and basement brick house that was on the northeast corner of 14thand E Streets N.W. in the reservation facing the municipal building. In 1857, the Franklin Fire Company moved to 1204 D Street N.W.
On April 25th, 1864, legislation was passed to create a part-time fire department. As of July 1, 1864 the Franklin Fire Company became a part of the paid department. In January 1865 the Volunteers disbanded and Franklin Fire Company became known as Engine Company 2.