The firefighter written test can include; basic math, reading and oral comprehension, memory, spatial orientation, mechanical aptitude, written expression, and reasoning. It does not usually require previous firefighting knowledge.
What is a firefighter entrance exam?
The Entrance Exam for firefighter Officer measures the basic skills necessary to perform successfully as a firefighter. The test covers four areas: (1) math skills, reading comprehension skills, (3) spelling and vocabulary skills, and ability to understand logical sequences.
How do you pass the firefighter test?
13 Tips & Techniques for the Written Firefighter Exam
- Read each question thoroughly, including all the answer choices, before marking one. …
- First time through, answer only those questions you know for sure. …
- When you do know the answer to a question, mark the answer sheet right then.
Is the firefighter exam multiple choice?
What the firefighter written exam is like. To pass the firefighter written test, you’ll need to get a sense of the exam. The test contains 100-150 questions in multiple-choice and true/false format that cover a broad range of skills including: Mathematical reasoning.
What should I wear to a firefighter written exam?
Same as for the police written exams because you may end up in an integrity interview following the test. High shine shoes, Grey or cream color slacks, white shirt, blue blazer or a sport coat of some type, and very importantly a red and blue stripped tie.
Can you use a calculator on the firefighter exam?
The skills assessed by the written selection tests are learned over time through different types of experiences; the best preparation is to read widely and think critically. Please note, the use of a calculator is not permitted.
How do I pass a firefighter oral interview?
With that said, here are 15 interview tips for a successful firefighter oral board.
- Dress Appropriately and Professionally. …
- Arrive on Time and Be Prepared. …
- Think About Your Answer Before Answering Each Question. …
- Research the Department and Position. …
- Learn About Yourself and What Makes You Qualified.
How long does it take to become a firefighter?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Firefighter?
|EMT School||6 months|
|Paramedic Training||1 – 2 years|
|Fire Science Education||2 – 4 years|
|Application + Hiring Process||2 months – 5+ years|
How do I prepare for a firefighter physical?
Workouts to Prepare You for the CPAT: The Fire Department Physical Ability Test
- Barbell Squat 4×5. Set up a barbell on the supports of a squat rack. …
- Straight Leg Deadlift 3×10. …
- Backward Drags (4 x 20 yards) …
- Stair Climber (20 Minutes) …
- Good Mornings 3×10. …
- Stair Climber (20 Minutes)
Is firefighter test hard?
The process of becoming a firefighter is lengthy, and varies from department to department. Most fire departments require some sort of written test in addition to a physical test when hiring new firefighters, but there is no standardized test among states, making information on the process hard to find.
How long is CPAT good for?
Candidates must provide proof of a current passing score on the CPAT during the Field Investigation. Proof must also be provided at the time of certification for hiring consideration. A CPAT score is valid for one year.
How do I ace a firefighter interview?
- LISTEN to the question thoroughly.
- Pause for a moment and THINK!
- Remember: Listen, Think, Respond!
- SMILE as you begin (it’s almost always appropriate)
- Come out and answer the question and then elaborate.
- Answer should be no more than 2-3 minutes in length.
- Relate the question to the position.
What questions are asked in a firefighter interview?
15 Toughest Firefighter Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work in this industry?
- Tell us about yourself.
- What do you think of your previous boss?
- Why are you leaving your current role?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What’s your greatest weakness?
- What salary are you looking for?
- Why should I hire you?
What should a female wear to a firefighter interview?
Women: Do wear a tailored business-like suit or dress with a jacket, not overly feminine. Choose suits in conservative solid colors such as gray, navy blue, black, beige, or camel with conservative hemlines. Natural fibers such as wool are your best bets.