What is the proper way to use a fire extinguisher Florida?
How to use an extinguisher is best remembered by the acronym P.A.S.S., for Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep.
- Pull the pin at the top of the cylinder. …
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, not in the flames.
- Squeeze the handle.
- Sweep the nozzle at the base of the fire from side to side until it goes out.
What are the four steps to follow when using any fire extinguisher?
The acronym PASS is used to describe these four basic steps.
- Pull (Pin) Pull pin at the top of the extinguisher, breaking the seal. …
- Aim. Approach the fire standing at a safe distance. …
- Squeeze. Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside. …
Should you have fire extinguisher at home?
Fire extinguishers should be kept on every level of your home, as well as in the kitchen and garage. If a fire starts in your home, first and foremost, evacuate and call the fire department to report the fire. Once these two conditions have been met, you can use the fire extinguisher to try and put out the fire.
Where should you aim a fire extinguishers stream?
Aim at the base of the fire. If you aim at the flames (which is frequently the temptation), the extinguishing agent will fly right through and do no good. You want to hit the fuel. Squeeze the top handle or lever.
When could you possibly use fire extinguishers?
You should only consider using a fire extinguisher if all members of your home have been alerted to the fire and the fire department has been called. Also, make sure you are safe from smoke and that the fire is not between you and your only escape route.
What is the first thing to do when fire is detected?
What To Do If A Fire Starts
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher.
- Remember to GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell “Fire!” several times and go outside right away. …
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out.
What is the correct order for the following fire fighting steps?
Remember, if you feel that you cannot safely extinguish the fire using the portable extinguisher available and if you have not already done so, pull the fire alarm, evacuate the area, and then call the fire department. When using an extinguisher, use the PASS system – Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep.
Which part of fire extinguisher should pull first to unlock it?
For an easy-to-remember 4-step process to operating a fire extinguisher, learn the PASS system: Pull the pin while holding the extinguisher away from you to unlock the mechanism. Aim low toward the base of the fire. Squeeze the lever slowly.