Which fire fighting agent is most effective?
1 Water. Due to its cooling power, water is the most effective extinguishing agent for many types of fire. It is particularly suitable for fires in carbonaceous materials. Portable extinguishers provide a limited quantity of water using gas pressure.
What is the best way to fight a fire?
In order to fight a fire, you must take out any one of the fire elements. The most common method is to use water to put out the fire. The water takes away heat by cooling the fire. Water also smothers the fire, taking away oxygen.
Which is the best type of fire?
An electric fire can easily become a great focal point in your room, especially when you choose a brilliant wall mounted fire which is sleek, tidy and space saving. Electric real flame fires also benefit from the warming feel of traditional fires whilst being easier to maintain and install.
What are the 4 types of fire extinguishers?
There are four classes of fire extinguishers – A, B, C and D – and each class can put out a different type of fire. Multipurpose extinguishers can be used on different types of fires and will be labeled with more than one class, like A-B, B-C or A-B-C.
What are the three agents of fire?
Classes of fire
- Class A – fires involving solid materials such as wood, paper or textiles.
- Class B – fires involving flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel or oils.
- Class C – fires involving gases.
- Class D – fires involving metals.
- Class E – fires involving live electrical apparatus. (
What are the 3 methods of extinguishing a fire?
All fires can be extinguished by cooling, smothering, starving or by interrupting the combustion process to extinguish the fire. One of the most common methods of extinguishing a fire is by cooling with water.
What is the golden rule for tackling a fire?
When considering whether to tackle a small fire yourself if you discover one, always bear in mind the golden rule of fire safety; If in doubt, get out, stay out and call the Fire Brigade immediately.
What is the first thing you should do if there is a fire?
What To Do If A Fire Starts
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher.
- Remember to GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell “Fire!” several times and go outside right away. …
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out.
What are the 5 different classes of fire?
Fires can be classified in five different ways depending on the agent that fuels them: Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class K. Each type of fire involves different flammable materials and requires a special approach.